Black Walnut -- Note the tire swing, Photo by Smiles
- Trees, magnificent creations by God, change their appeal through the seasons. Today as the last frosted leaves blow from the Black Walnut tree overhanging my back yard, I guess I’m still clinging to the colors of fall. In fact, a drive almost anywhere throughout the Walla Walla Valley, even after the frosts and wind, continues to yield great, long-stemmed splashes of color. Meanwhile, here is a favorite poem by Joyce Kilmer, along with a year’s worth of trees… some favorites of Joan and Tom Bigley and me… gracing the land that holds their roots. :} Smiles
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
- A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
- Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
- A tree that looks at God all day,
- And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
- A tree that may in summer wear
- A nest of robins in her hair;
- Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
- Who intimately lives with rain.
- Poems are made by fools like me,
- But only God can make a tree.
Original text by Joyce Kilmer February 2, 1913
Mimosa and Sunrise Reflection on Puget Sound, Photo by Tom Bigley January 4, 2009
God's Artistry in a Gnarled Old Tree (Russian Olive?) in Eagle Island State Park, near Boise. Photo by Smiles February 2009 I'll try to check it out when I'm there next.
Beaver Tree -- young cottonwood chewed, and to provide beaver food after it's toppled. Photo by Smiles, February 2009
- (Any tree with a bird in it) Cottonwood with Great Blue Heron in Eagle Island State Park, Photo by Smiles, February 2009
Pussy Willow as Snow Melts, Photo March 2009 by Smiles
Saucer Magnolia Photo by Smiles April 2008
Black Walnut, young leaf patterns Photo by Smiles June 2011
Subalpine Fir near Chinook Pass, Mt. Rainier National Park. Photo by Smiles July 2008
Ponderosa Pine, Bryce Canyon Photo by Tom Bigley July 2011
Bristlecone Pine, Bryce Canyon, Photo by Tom Bigley 2011
Lacy Western Redcedar Branches near Lolo Pass, Photo by Smiles August 2009
Old Snag at Bar Meadow, Chinook Pass Highway, Photo by Smiles September 2002
Quaking Aspen at Nine-mile Flat, Hwy 410, October 2011 photo by Smiles
Red Maple on Eagle Island near Boise Photo by Smiles October 2008
Black Locust at Sunset, Photo by Smiles, November 2009
- Blue Spruce Photo by Smiles December 2008